Sunday, September 14, 2008

Slow Cooker Sour Cream Salsa Chicken With "Mexican Rice" & Calabacitas

(Ok, so I don't know how to make it look pretty, but it sure tastes good!)

Sour Cream Salsa Chicken
4 individually frozen chicken breasts

1 1/2 cups of your favorite salsa (I use Pace brand)

16 oz. container of sour cream (I use light)

Reynolds crockpot liner (you can do without this, but clean up will be SO much easier with it)

1 cup Mahatma long cooking white rice



Place liner in crockpot. Toss in frozen chicken breasts. Pour salsa over the top of chicken. Cover and cook on low for around 8 hours...or until you get home from work. I usually start it right before I leave for work at about 7:30am and we will eat it at around 6:00pm and it's still fine.



About 25 minutes before you are ready to eat, remove about 1 cup of the juice from the chicken and salsa. Add juice with a cup of water into medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add rice, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. The juice from the salsa and chicken cooked into the rice make my version of "mexican rice".

While rice is cooking, remove chicken breasts from crockpot and set aside. Mix together sour cream with remaining juice from salsa and chicken. Put chicken breasts back into crockpot and cover with sour cream salsa sauce.
Serve chicken and sauce over rice.
Calabacitas
1 yellow squash, chopped into 1” pieces
1 zucchini, chopped into 1” pieces
½ medium onion, chopped finely
½ C frozen corn
1 jalapeno, chopped finely
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ C cilantro, chopped finely
1 T vegetable oil
1 T butter
Salt to taste

Put all veggies into gallon sized bag with vegetable oil and salt. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes. Melt butter in skillet and add veggies. Cook until veggies are tender and serve.



This makes 4 servings, but I often add a couple of extra chicken breasts that I will freeze with portions of the rice to microwave for lunches later. Ole!

2 comments:

Sheryl said...

Okay, did not know you had a recipe blog. Although I see it is not one you post to often - ha! This recipe sounds good though and I'm going to try it. I'll let ya know. Thanks again for always encouraging me. I know I've said it a million times but I still can't believe you're the same Suzanne I met many months ago. Wow, God is good!!

Sheryl

Leah said...

This sounds so yummy. I love Mexican food. Stop by my "cooking" blog sometime.
www.hatetocooklovetoeat.com