Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Quinoa With Brussels Sprouts, Bacon, And Dried Cherries

The picture was taken with the leftovers.
It was better the next day!


I saw a similar recipe on Pinterest that used couscous, but I didn't have any couscous on hand. I did however, have quinoa and that sounded like it could work too. If you've never tried quinoa, you really should. It's amazingly good for you. It has a lot of protein, is low fat, high in iron, and has a wonderful nutty flavor. I think you may be able to find it at Kroger these days, and if not you can definitely find it at health food stores.

So, here's the recipe:

Quinoa with Brussels Sprouts, Bacon, and Dried Cherries

1/2 C Uncooked Quinoa
3 Slices Bacon
2 C Brussels Sprouts, sliced thin (I thawed frozen first)
1/2 C Dried Cherries

Slice brussels sprouts (you'll want to do this first, or like me you'll be ready with the bacon grease to cook them, and not ready with the sprouts!).

Cook quinoa per directions on packaging and drain when ready (I cooked in water, but will probably cook in chicken broth next time). Meanwhile, cook bacon until crispy, remove from grease, and place on paper towels. Add brussels sprouts into the bacon drippings, and cook just until they turn bright green. If your brussels sprouts are done before your quinoa, remove from pan, and set aside. Otherwise, in a single medium sized serving dish, pour in quinoa, crumble in bacon, and add brussels sprouts and cherries. Mix together. Serves at least 2.

Now I wasn't sure about the cherries in this recipe. Honestly, it sounded a little weird to me, but it definitely added something to the recipe! You could also use dried cranberries (or Craisins), and I want to try it with artichokes too.

This was good the day I made it and I wasn't sure if it would be something that would be good leftover, but oh my goodness, it was definitely even better warmed up in the microwave the next day! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

No comments: